Flea control medications for dogs come in a wide variety of brands and formulas. It is important to find the safest and most effective method of flea control medication for your dog. Not only do pesky fleas cause your pet to itch and scratch almost non-stop (the female flea can lay up to 2,000 eggs per day on it’s host), fleas can also spread diseases to your pet, such as tapeworm infection and typhus. Some of the diseases that fleas spread to your dog can also be transferred to humans.
GETTING RID OF FLEAS EFFECTIVELY
Fleas are eliminated when their life cycle is disrupted. This can be achieved with the proper flea control medication formulated especially for dogs. Below is a list of some of the most commonly used and most effective flea prevention medications:
- Advantage: A liquid applied directly to your pet’s skin whose active ingredient is Imidacloprid. Advantage kills fleas currently infesting the dog within 12 hours, and is waterproof.
- K9 Advantix: A liquid applied directly to the dog’s skin, containing two active ingredients – Imidacloprid and Permethrin.
- Frontline Plus: A liquid applied to the dog’s skin which contain active ingredients fipFronil and S-methoprene. Frontline Plus kills fleas at all stages of the life cycle within 24 – 48 hours, and is waterproof.
- Program Tabs: Flea control in pill form taken monthly. Active ingredient is Lufenuron.
- Adams: Liquid drops applied directly to the skin whose active ingredients are Etofenprox and S-methoprene; Adams kills fleas, ticks, flea eggs, flea larvae. Also repels and kills mosquitoes. Best Flea Treatment For Dogs And Cats In 2016 – Comparisons
- Revolution: Liquid drops applied to the skin whose active ingredient is Selamectin and is waterproof.
- Capstar: A once-a-day pill containing the active ingredient Nitenpyram.
- Sentinel: A monthly pill which works as both a a flea killer and a heartworm preventative.
Always keep an eye on your pet following any flea prevention treatment in case of side effects. These are rare and usually mild, but they do occur and must be dealt with promptly. Ridding your dog of fleas will make him happier, healthier, and much more comfortable.